The Crown Inn – Little Missenden
In 1742 there were two cottages on this site. One was known as an Alehouse. Around 1800 we believe this was then turned into The Crown public house.
The license of The Crown, Little Missenden was granted to Frederick Kingham a pensioned police officer in April 1923. This he held with his wife Emily Kingham for 23 years. The license was then transferred to Henry Fordham (brother) in 1946 and after his death, 5 years later to his wife Violet Fordham, for a further 13 years.
The license was then held by Ron How (son in law) an England speedway rider in the 1950’s and 1960’s who qualified for the Speedway World Championship finals twice and was ranked 7th in the world in 1965. Ron first took the license in April 1964 and who in 1973 purchased the freehold from Ind Coope, thus making The Crown a freehouse.
In 1993 Trevor How (son), after retiring from professional football with Watford FC, took the license over with his wife Carolyn and are still running the pub to this day.
In 2008, while still holding on to the charm of this 300 year old pub, the stable block adjacent to the pub was converted to 3 bed and breakfast rooms.
This family run pub has featured consecutively for 30 years in The Good Beer Guide and 25 years in The Good Pub Guide.
The Crown sits in one acre of beautiful countryside with a new extended patio area for pub lunches or just quiet drinks.
In recent years the outside area has been the perfect venue for marquees, accommodating small parties to large events.